Ditch the stimulants, plug into this – playlist

We’ve all been there: the deadline looms and you’re downing Red Bull but the words never make it from brain to screen. So, ditch the stimulants and plug into these – the tunes that will carry through the crucial essay writing night shift.

Aroused – Tom Vek

The only thing hotter than this track are the models in the video, and the only thing hotter than them are the cigarettes they’re furiously puffing on. It’ll arouse brain activity, if nothing else.

It’s You – Lust For Youth 

Swedish producer Hannes Norrvide (aka Lust For Youth) gives us It’s You, a dark electro track. The heavy European influences play well here, giving the track depth as well as a catchy rhythm.

Peso – A$AP Rocky

Casually known by his peers as “That pretty muthafucka”, A$AP Rocky is big in the rap game at the moment and Peso is Rocky at his finest – spitting sharp lyrics on a banging beat.

Astro (feat. Frank Ocean) – MellowHype 

Hype have gained a name for themselves as the dynamic duo in Odd Future, and this track really shows what they’re about. Throw Frank Ocean in the mix and you’ve got yourself a quality tune.

Clint Eastwood (Ed Case/Sweetie Irie refix) – Gorillaz

An instant classic, I just had to throw in here. Nothing will keep you awake like this remix. You’ll probably be unable to concentrate so this is a perfect break time jam.

Counting (ft. Mykki Blanco remix) – Autre Ne Veut

Counting is the song of the moment and with Mykki Blanco on the track it’s a perfect collaboration effort with Autre Ne Veut.

You Know You Like It (Bondax remix) – AlunaGeorge

Another collab that’ll keep your eyes prised open and fingers typing. The Bondax boys remix group of the hour, AlunaGeorge, to make what was a smooth R&B groove, a tight house track.

Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe – Kendrick Lamar

If you haven’t heard Kendrick Lamar’s album good kidd, m.A.A.d city, you really need to get on it. The phrase “Bitch, don’t kill my vibe” is, for better or worse, quickly becoming a lad favourite.

Sweet Nothing (Diplo and Grandtheft remix) – Calvin Harris ft. Florence Welsh

When I first heard this on Radio One, I promptly sat up straight, cracked it up to an obscene level and pretty much lost it. Falling asleep already? I suggest you do the same.

Sheila – Memory Tapes

At over eight minutes long, the track spills twinkling lo-fi electro sounds and is bursting with retro-synth beats. The phrase “big tune” doesn’t even cover this one.

Got tunes to share? Submit your own playlist – email Harry at concrete.online@uea.ac.uk

21/12/2012

ayoolasolarin

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031