Home of the Wonderful

Do something green week, nature and mental health

Do Something Green Week, hosted by the Do Something Different (DSD) team, runs from March 21. It includes a range of engaging activities that create a “direct opportunity to be involved” for the student community, who “have a passion for sustainability”, Neith Charlesworth (DSD Coordinator) explained to me. 

The week’s activities include a vintage fair, cacti and succulent gardening, as well as bat-box and bug hotel making- which is hosted by the Conservation and Wildlife society and will subsequently be placed around campus to encourage more wildlife and thriving ecosystems. Later in the week, there will be society and club stalls, including Bloody Good Period (working to explain how we can make managing menstruation more sustainable) and a workshop run by a UEA alumnus, on how creative writing can help raise awareness and prevent negative climate impact.  

Tickets for all these events, including recycling Welcome Week tote bags- born from a newfound focus “on reusing SU-created products”- are completely free and available on the SU website. This element of accessibility is an important aspect of Do Something Green week and climate action as a whole, the more people able to engage in what is “hopefully the first of many” such events, the more people are educated and inspired to be more proactive in their efforts to maintain the environment around them.  

Do Something Green is especially relevant to our UEA campus, which- though nicknamed the Concrete Jungle- includes the vast green space surrounding the Zigs and the Lake. The importance of maintaining this environment and allowing ecosystems to prevail and thrive is not only for the benefit of the natural world but also for us, as students. Our ever-present deadlines, work commitments and efforts to maintain relationships are often stressful and overwhelming- time outside, whether a walk around the Lake or frisbee on the field, is vital to our health and wellbeing. 

Action against the climate crisis, to preserve wildlife and greenspace is also action taken to preserve our own, our friends and our children’s mental and physical health. Join the fight: find a full list of the week’s activities, as well as tickets, on the SU website. 

22/03/2022

Libby Hargreaves

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031