Domestic Homicide Review: “More Needs To Be Done”

A Domestic Homicide Review (DHR), commissioned by the Norfolk County Community Safety Partnership (NCCSP), was published on the 25th January 2021. As a result of the findings from this review, the panel found that “more needs to be done” to encourage employers to support employees who may be at risk of domestic abuse.

It looks into the death of Cristina Magda-Calancea, a 26-year-old Kings Lynn resident who was murdered by her former partner Gediminas Jaskinsas in 2018 in what the pathologist described as being a ‘sustained and deliberate’ attack. Jaskinsas was subsequently sentenced to a minimum of 19 years after pleading guilty to her murder.

The report “establish[es] the facts that led to” the death of Miss Magda-Calancea and explores any relevant lessons that can be learned “about the way in which local professionals and agencies worked together to safeguard the family.” It particularly looks at the responses from agencies leading up to the incident and explores whether policies and procedures from such agencies are appropriate to respond to domestic abuse. 

The panel agreed upon three recommendations as a result of this review. Firstly, GP surgeries should consider ‘engaging in the countrywide DA Champions Network’. The DA Champions Network is a multi-agency approach to prevent and reduce the risk of domestic abuse. As well as this, the panel recommends that employers should be using the EIDA domestic abuse toolkit to “ensure they [employers] have the right workplace policies and procedures in place to help victims of domestic abuse”. The third recommendation from the report is to acknowledge ‘behaviours such as stalking and harassment’ contribute to the risk of homicide or harm at the end of a relationship.

The launch of the HEAR campaign a couple of months before this report was published is a step in the right direction. The organisation is calling on employers to engage in discourse around domestic abuse and provide support for those who need it.

It is clear from this report on Miss Magda-Calancea death that more needs to be done to provide support for those in the workplace who are suffering from domestic abuse in any form. Campaigns such as HEAR look to be essential in supporting victims, however, the DHR’s recommendations need to be taken into account in order to support victims of domestic abuse.

If you are affected by any issues raised in the article please contact these mental health organisations for support.

Norwich Nightline: 01603 597158 8pm-8am

Samaritans Norwich: 01603 611311

Student Support Services: csr@uea.ac.uk.

09/02/2021

Thomas Manning

March 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031