Back in September, House Speaker Pelosi announced an impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump. Impeachment procedures are a final check on a president’s power. The process of the president’s impeachment started with the House of Representatives agreeing for the impeachment procedures to commence. Donald Trump’s current impeachment inquiry centres around whether he sought help from Ukraine to boost his re-election chances. He is accused of pressuring Ukraine’s President, Volodymyr Zelensky, to dig up ‘dirt’ on both his main Democrat challenger, Joe Biden, and his son. If the House of Representatives vote for impeachment, the matter would move to the upper chamber, with Trump’s removal from office on the line. All of this comes from the information of a whistleblower, who wrote a letter of concern about the July 25 phone call between Trump and Zelensky. President Trump has hit back at the impeachment, calling it a ‘witch-hunt’ by Democrats and the media.

House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff announced that a report of findings so far would be “transmitted to the Judiciary Committee soon after Congress returns from Thanksgiving recess.” It is the Judiciary Committee which will review the findings and decide whether to draw up articles of impeachment against President Trump. 

The last president to face an impeachment was Bill Clinton, when he found himself impeached on grounds of perjury and obstruction of justice after he lied about the nature of his affair with Monica Lewinsky. The process was halted at the end though in 1999, when the trail reached Senate and failed to secure the required two-thirds backing. If President Trump is removed from power, Vice-President Mike Pence would move into Office under the Presidential Succession Act of 1947.