Double UEA BUCS Conference Cup wins

UEA Table Tennis and UEA Women’s Hockey both enjoyed success in their respective BUCS cup finals last week. Table Tennis beat a Nottingham Uni side while Women’s Hockey 2s stormed to a 4-1 win against Oxford Brookes. Both finals were hosted at Loughborough University. 

A cup win is always a testament to consistent performances under pressure. This fantastic achievement now sees the teams crowned 2022 BUCS Midlands Conference Champions. The accomplishment is all the more impressive considering the size and standard of sport at both Nottingham and Oxford Brookes, who are renowned as two of the best sports universities in the country.  

UEA Table Tennis President Luke Brown said on their win: “Our men’s BUCS team comprising of our three table tennis scholars put in an excellent performance to secure a 9-7 victory over Nottingham 4’s team. Our team consisted of Gaurav Aravind, Deng Ke Deng, Zachary Martillo, and Daniel Zeffie. A huge congratulations to the team, with player of the match going to Gaurav, who won every single one of his matches. We look forward to the club progressing in the future and hopefully securing even more titles.”

Women’s Hockey Captain, Elle Ashton celebrated her team’s victory: “It’s a brilliant feeling and I am incredibly proud of every single girl that has devoted any time to the team, whether in training or in a match! It has been such an amazing experience and such a fantastic season, from having to give players up to the 1s, to eight different goalies  (none of whom were actual goalies), we’ve had our fair share of obstacles. Cami and Frankie have been absolutely faultless coaches, devoting so much time to push everyone, they both also deserve medals. For the team to have done so well in its first ever season and cup, proves how much it was needed and I’m excited to see it’s growth as it continues.”

These were not the only two finals on the day, with various other UEA sides, including Men’s Hockey, Women’s Lacrosse, and Women’s football, getting to their respective BUCS Conference Finals. However, it was not to be for them but it was a valiant effort by all to reach the final stage nonetheless.  

Congratulations to all involved in BUCS Cups this year.

22/03/2022

Oscar Ress

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930