Dr. Jane Goodall to open UEA’s new state-of-the-art science building

The UEA’s New Science Building was officially opened by Dr Jane Goodall on October 24 at 12pm, with several attendees, including Vice-Chancellor Prof David Richardson and Prof Ben Garrod, presenter and Professor of Evolutionary Biology and Science Engagement. The £30 million building is over 7000m2 and is located at the bottom of Chancellor’s Drive, adjacent to the Julian Study Centre. Dr Jane Goodall DBE, an english primatologist and anthropologist, renowned for her landmark study of wild chimpanzees at Gombe in Tanzania, was on hand to open the building.

Dr. Goodall said: “I am delighted to have the opportunity to see this new building today and look forward to developing an ongoing relationship with UEA and discussing the potential for Roots & Shoots.”

The building is one of the few in UK universities to host a changing place, a changing facility for people unable to use standard accessible toilets and includes a height adjustable changing bench and hoist. On top of that, the building has a ramped entrance, two disabled toilets on every floor, fully accessible laboratories for wheelchairs, hearing loops in every teaching space and motor assisted doors. 

Dr Katherine Deane, Access Ambassador and senior lecturer in the School of Health Sciences at UEA, said: “A lot of the accessible features in the New Science Building seem like minor innovations to a lot of people but they make such a huge difference to those who really need them. Over 8% of UEA students have a declared disability and they have the same rights to access education as anyone else, so it’s fantastic that they have been considered from the outset and we’ve delivered a building that is accessible for everyone on our campus and beyond.”

The building was constructed by local construction firm R G Carter, with FSM Architects responsible for the building’s design.

05/11/2019

Bryan Theo Mfhaladi

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930