Fashion

Dungarees, love them or hate them?

Dungarees are the fashion-world’s gift to lovers of comfort and practicality. Not only is the word itself super satisfying to pronounce, but wearing dungarees brings a feeling of freedom that few other outfits can. They have the ability to give their wearers a free-spiritedness akin to Meryl Streep’s character on a Greek island in Mamma Mia.

It seems they have been around for longer than time itself, with the term having been in circulation since the 17th century. Unlike much of our Western closet, dungarees transcend gendered fashion boundaries, offering all genders, ages, and sizes a comfortable but fashionable look. Dungarees are effortless: the wearer does not worry about whether their tops and bottoms are matching because just about anything can go underneath dungarees – you can dress them up with a funky shirt underneath or dress them down with a casual T-shirt. They can go from a practical and fun daytime outfit to classy and cool evening wear just by simply switching up some accessories or shoes.

Brands such as Lucy & Yak are bringing ethically-sourced cotton dungarees with bold designs to the forefront along with some brightly-coloured corduroy pieces, giving an exciting new twist to the classic blue or black denim look. These more experimental styles have enabled dungarees to make the jump from a practical and relatively conventional-looking item to an exciting statement piece. Dungarees are an autumn/winter wardrobe staple, with the option to sport a long-sleeved top or a jumper underneath for those chillier days. Dungarees are the perfect investment at this time of year.

23/10/2018

maryodriscoll