The ease of cooking in bulk

It’s easy to forget to eat with deadlines looming, and if you find yourself forced to buy a sad looking panini at Unio because you keep forgetting to eat lunch, then I have a solution for you: meal prepping. Meal prepping not only ensures that cooking isn’t going into your exam cramming time, it saves you money.

First make a plan of the meals you want to prep, and how many portions you want to have. It’s best to go with simple recipes, or ones that you’ve cooked a few times before. I made five batches of a sweet potato and coconut soup to later realise that I used cayenne pepper instead of paprika. Gross.

Make sure that you have the right equipment on hand. You’ll need big enough
pots and pans if you’re making enough food for a week. For containers, it’s best to use microwavable safe so that you can just pop it in the microwave when you’re ready to reheat your meal. I use old Tupperware from Chinese takeaways and they work perfectly fine, however you can buy some super cheap from Wilko as well. Freeze your meals in portion sizes. It’s pointless spending hours on a risotto to freeze it into one solid block.

Look for recipes that have a lot of vegetables in them as this is an excellent opportunity to get your five a day in.

Also, don’t cook vegetables fully, as when they are reheated they’ll get that last bit of cooking and won’t go mushy.

Cool your portions to room temperature before freezing, but make sure they go in the freezer the moment they’ve cooled to prevent bacteria from growing.

Have an argument with your housemates about freezer space? Let them have some of your fridge space. You won’t need it, as you’ll have plenty of healthy meals ready to go in the freezer!

21/11/2017

CiaraMcIlvenna

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031