Easy pizza pie recipe

Cheaper than Domino’s and actually bordering on a healthy meal, pizza pie is something between a lasagne and a pizza. Pizza pie keeps for up to a week in the fridge and can easily be reheated. Plus, like pizza, it’s also really good cold.

Ingredients

• 1 pack of tortilla wraps
  • 2 x 400g cans of kidney beans
  • 2 x 250g of sweetcorn
  • 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp of oil
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 tbsp of ketchup
  • 250g of grated cheese
  • Salt, pepper and as much chilli powder as you like

Method

1. Preheat your oven to 200°C or Gas Mark 6.
  2. Peel and slice the onion and pepper, and then fry them in the oil in a large saucepan until they start to soften. Then add chilli powder, salt and pepper, and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes.
  3. Add the tinned tomatoes and ketchup, fill one of the empty tomato cans with water and add this to the pan too. Allow this to simmer whilst you make the filling for the pizza pie.
  4. To make the filling, drain and rinse the kidney beans and sweetcorn, then combine in a bowl with the grated cheese. Keep about two handfuls of the cheese reserved to top the pie.
  5. To assemble the pie, use a round ovenproof dish, preferably around four inches deep and big enough to fit a tortilla wrap. If you can’t find one big enough, you can just trim the wraps so they fit into the bottom of the dish.
  6. Spread around two tablespoons of the tomato mixture onto the bottom of the dish and then sit a tortilla wrap on top.
  7. Cover the tortilla wrap with some of the beans and cheese mixture, then cover the beans with a few spoonfuls of the tomato mixture and top this with a tortilla wrap. Continue this layering, finishing with a tortilla on top, until the dish is quite full. Don’t worry if it looks really full or quite watery, this all gets absorbed by the tortillas in the oven.
  8. Top the pie with the reserved cheese and bake in the oven for around half an hour, or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
09/10/2012

emilytucker

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031