Featured Posts, Music, OldVenue

Editorial Christmas Playlist

Julian Casablancas – I Wish It Was Christmas Today
Adding his legendary snarl to a festive beat, ‘I Wish It Was Christmas Today’ is arguably the high point of The Strokes front-man’s patchy solo output. Originating from a Saturday Night Live sketch, Casablancas brings some Christmas cheer as he wails ‘All I know is that Santa’s sleigh/Is makin’ it’s way to the USA’. It’s cheesy, sure, but perfect if you want to give your Christmas playlist some indie appeal.
Daniel Jeakins
Music Co-Editor

The Pogues – Fairtytale of New York
Frequently cited as the greatest achievement in festive song-craft, Shane MacGowan and Kirsty MacColl’s drunken love song still warms the hearts of millions every December. A classic for the ages.
Peter Sheehan
Deputy Editor

Bing Crosby – White Christmas
Singing a timeless serenade of the perfect Christmas, Bing Crosby indulges us with deliciously deep vocals and a rich choir accompaniment to get us in the ultimate christmassy mood. First performed in 1941, the tune is sure to be included in every Christmas compilation album and is an obvious choice for any festive event, and, of course, Christmas decorating. It’s easy to find yourself day dreaming of the ultimate snowy day to the treacle tones of Crosby’s voice alongside his classical entourage.
Joe Jameson
Co-Editor in Chief

She & Him – Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree
Zoeey Deschanel’s adorable vocals give Brenda Lee’s classic a new lease of life whilst maintaining its vintage roots. Retro guitar riffs decorate the catchy melody and lyics, to leave you optimistically humming all day long.
Freya Gibson
Music Co-Editor

Wham! – Last Christmas
A pop classic known as much for its iconic video as it for its irresistable chorus, Wham’s take on festive heartbreak is the ultimate Christmas hit. Set aside your cynicism and put it on max volume, you know you want to.
Olivia Minnock
Features Co-Editor

Chris Rea – Driving Home For Christmas
It’s almost impossible to replicate the warm feeling you get hearing ‘Driving Home For Christmas’, Chris Rea’s crooner that captures the feeling of returing home to your family for the joys of festive celebration. A must for your car journey home from university.
Dan Falvey
Co-Editor in Chief

Slade – Merry Xmas Everybody
Slade were one of the great British rock bands of the seventies, but aside from football fans occasionally chanting a long to ‘Cum on Feel The Noize’ their Christmas number one is how they are now remembered. It’s safe to assume Noddy Holder still can’t wait for December’s royalty cheque to come in.
Sam McKinty
News Co-Editor

Mariah Carey – All I Want For Christmas Is You
Perhaps the only Christmas song that’s permissible in September, Mariah’s festive banger is undoubtedly the soundtrack to many a Christmas dinner. Taken from the best selling Christmas album of all time, it’s still an outrage that the Mrs Claus impersonator never topped the charts. I thought the brilliance of the song was unsurpassable, until Justin Bieber got in on the act. Simply sublime.
Tom Etheridge
Chief Copy Editor

01/12/2015

D.Jeakins

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…