Editor's column

The Editor’s Column – 16th September 2014

Welcome (back) to UEA! For those of you who are new to campus, welcome to Concrete, your official student newspaper. We go to print every two weeks, and although you’re getting this copy at arrivals, you can always pick up a copy at various points around campus or in the city. More than that look out for us at SocMart on the 23rd September and Media Day on the 26th September – come and sign up and get involved, we’d love to have you! That goes for you returners too, it’s never too late to sign up.

This summer has been a transition for Concrete, and we’re looking forward to operating not only as the strong student newspaper that we have evolved into, but also as a third of the new UEA Media Collective. The collective is made up of Concrete, UEA:TV and Livewire 1350, so keep your eyes – and ears – peeled for joint ventures between the three of us.

We’ve recently launched a brand new feature on our website, Concrete Society Blogs! We’ve already got 20 societies who have uploaded blogs, with more being added every day. The aim of all this is to give your societies a place to talk about the things that matter to you. All we ask is for a minimum of one post a month and we’ll provide the hosting, management and tech-support. To get involved drop me an email on concrete.editor@uea.ac.uk

For this issue, Peter Sheehan (deputy editor) and I have interviewed UEA’s new vice chancellor, Professor David Richardson. He spoke to us at length about his plans for UEA in the future, and his passion for the Norwich campus. As Peter has explained on page six, we were keen to take the vice chancellor’s answers at face value, and report them without a slant, so that our readers can form their own opinions of the new top dog. You can read the full interview on the front page, continuing on page six.

Over the last two weeks, the whole editorial team has worked really hard to put together our first full-sized publication. But special thanks have to go to Becca Bemment and Courtney Pochin for their incredible dedication to the Freshers’ Guide which will be going out in select copies of this issue; and to James Newbold and Kat Lucas, who worked tirelessly to put together the Summer of Sport supplement that you will find slipped inside. I’ve been so impressed with their willingness and passion for these mini-publications, and this has convinced me that this should be something Concrete should do more of in the future!

16/09/2014

geriscott With a blood to caffeine ratio of around 50/50, you can usually find Geri in the media hub nursing a cup of tea. After writing for the newspaper for every issue in her second year, Geri will now be balancing her final year of her Politics degree with running Concrete and working in the Union House reception. She is also the President of the Concrete committee.

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31