Editor's column

The Editor’s Column – 25th November 2014

The end of semester one is creeping up on us much faster than anyone expected,  just like it seems to every year. In fact we’ve only got one issue of Concrete left after this one before the Christmas break, which means we’re officially halfway through our time as editors. Which brings me on to a really exciting idea – would you like to be a senior or section editor for Concrete next year? Applications won’t be open for a few months yet, but it’s never too early to start boosting your chances by writing lots and signing up to events. If you want to find out more about what is involved in any of the roles at Concrete, you can always drop me, or any other editor, an email!

But back to this week. Have you got plans tonight? Your dissertation? Forget that and get down to the Waterfront as Livewire Presents… is back with an incredible Battle of the Bands featuring talented local artists. The event is free and doors open at 18:30 for a 19:00 start.

Last week, I told you how the wonderful Lauren Razavi would be holding a workshop, ‘From Student Journalism to National Journalism’. The turnout on Tuesday night was brilliant – despite the slight hiccup of moving rooms halfway through – and everyone seems to have got something out of the session which was informative, fun and engaging. Anyone who did attend and would like to get hold of the slides from the evening can drop me an email on concrete.editor@uea.ac.uk and I’d be more than happy to send them over.

Speaking of events, the UEA Media Collective will soon be hosting our annual Media Ball. This year we’ve been lucky enough to secure the gorgeous 47 St Giles for a three-course meal, followed by drinks and dancing, before we head out into the city to carry on the merriment. There are now less than ten tickets left for this, so log on to ueastudent.com/groups/concrete/events before it’s too late!

Now to this edition of Concrete! It’s been a little odd having to read serious articles again after the hilarity that was the sex issue last time, but it really helps that the topics featured this time around are really accessible to lots of people. One of the articles that stands out for me this issue is in news, where Kathryn Fox and Elliot Folan report on the candlelit vigil held in the Square on Transgender Day of Remembrance. The article is well written and the event was humbling, but the quote that touched me came from Elley West, President of UEA Pride, who said that: “We will celebrate with our words and remember with our silence”. To me, that beautifully encompassed the significance that the event held for so many, and celebrated how many people felt it was important to attend.

25/11/2014

geriscott With a blood to caffeine ratio of around 50/50, you can usually find Geri in the media hub nursing a cup of tea. After writing for the newspaper for every issue in her second year, Geri will now be balancing her final year of her Politics degree with running Concrete and working in the Union House reception. She is also the President of the Concrete committee.

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…