Editor's column

The Editor’s Column – 27th January 2015

What an exciting few days it’s been for the Media Collective here at UEA, and an excellent start to the semester too! It began with an interview with Harriet Harman, Shadow Deputy Prime Minister, on Thursday before her talk as part of the Charles Clarke In-Conversation Series which is being run by the School of Politics, Philosophy, Language and Communication Studies throughout the semester.

As a politics student, and a woman, meeting Ms Harman was a particular highlight, even as someone who doesn’t want to go directly into politics, as her thoughts on feminism and the current state of personality politics in the UK were particularly interesting. Natalie Bennett, leader of the Green Party, has also visited UEA this semester as part of the In-Conversation Series, with Brandon Lewis MP, Richard Wilson (Lord Wilson of Dinton GCB) and Douglas Carswell MP still to appear.

When Friday came, there was going to be another high-profile figure on campus, but this time it was UEA and Livewire 1350 alumnus Greg James! I can’t express how excited I was to spend the morning at the announcement of BBC Radio 1’s Big Weekend coming to Norwich, as Greg spoke to Nick Grimshaw’s Breakfast Show from City Hall, before the Media Collective invited him and his team back to visit campus in the afternoon, to start his own show from Unio.

It’s difficult to believe that Norwich, a city I love for its little unique quirks, but which is undeniably an acquired taste, will be hosting Taylor Swift come May. However, as a die-hard Taylor Swift fan, I’m surprised that I didn’t pass out when Swift was announced as headlining more than anything else! I do get the feeling that the mash-up of Delia Smith’s infamous ‘let’s be havin’ ya!’ and Shake It Off is necessary though… Or a Blank Space remix featuring the Puppet Man.

With all of this upcoming excitement, there’s really been no better time to get involved with either Concrete, Livewire 1350 or UEA:TV. You can find all of us on Facebook, Twitter or our respective websites, or on the Union website if you want to sign up and be at the centre of the action!

27/01/2015

geriscott With a blood to caffeine ratio of around 50/50, you can usually find Geri in the media hub nursing a cup of tea. After writing for the newspaper for every issue in her second year, Geri will now be balancing her final year of her Politics degree with running Concrete and working in the Union House reception. She is also the President of the Concrete committee.

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…