Editor's column

The Editor’s column – 9th December 2014

Photo: Geri Scott
Photo: Geri Scott

It’s week 12 and you are so close, just keep going… that’s what I keep telling myself and probably what you’ve been telling yourself too. This is the last edition of Concrete until January, meaning there are only four more days until the end of the semester and Christmas is truly here. So whether you’re reading this in the library whilst you should be revising, or if you’ve picked it up in UNIO now that you’ve escaped for a caffeine top-up, be safe in the knowledge that it’s nearly time to watch Love Actually (the best Christmas film ever, in my opinion), break out the Quality Street and fall asleep during the Queen’s Speech.

You could say that Christmas has already arrived here at UEA. Campus is draped in fairy lights and decorations, and that odd, but weirdly beautiful, cone-type Christmas tree has gone up in the square. Although, did anyone else think it was a possible hazard to stick a load of electric lights on top of a fountain? No? Just me?

It’s come over all festive in the Media Centre too. We have a tree which appeared from nowhere, which has been decorated with baubles made of the faces of the Media Collective committees, as well as paper chains made out of old issues of Concrete – we take recycling seriously, guys! More than this, a little Livewire 1350 elf has been around cutting out Santa hats and sticking them on anything and everything which a small red hat can perch on the edge of. In fact, the logos of Concrete, Livewire 1350 and UEA:TV have all had a festive makeover! A little red-breasted robin told me that the same elf had also been let loose on the student officer photos in Union House…

All of this Christmas cheer came after the fabled Concrete Christmas Taste Test that was held last week. We wanted to find out the answer to the question on every mistletoe-toting student’s lips: where can I buy cheap and tasty Christmas treats (read: alcohol)?! Fear not, dear reader, we’ve got you covered! Page 12 is where you’ll find the answers.

In other news, tomorrow is the annual Media Ball, and we’re very excited to be teaming up with Livewire 1350 and UEA:TV to have an incredible night of dinner and dancing. The social secretaries for each of our societies have been absolutely amazing and have planned everything down to a tee. So a great big thank you goes out to Helena Bradbury, Sophie Henry and Sian Cooper for all their hard work; we’re over the moon and couldn’t be prouder.

As for Concrete, we’ll be back in print from the 13th January 2015 but you can keep up with Norwich goings-on online until then at concrete-online.co.uk as well as on our social media streams.

Merry Christmas and happy New Year from everyone at Concrete! And, UEA, make good choices!

Featured image: Yinbo Yu

09/12/2014

geriscott With a blood to caffeine ratio of around 50/50, you can usually find Geri in the media hub nursing a cup of tea. After writing for the newspaper for every issue in her second year, Geri will now be balancing her final year of her Politics degree with running Concrete and working in the Union House reception. She is also the President of the Concrete committee.

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…