Music, OldVenue

Editor’s summer playlist

‘Go!’ – M83

Set to play numerous festivals worldwide over the next few months, French electronic band M83 provide the perfect summer soundtrack with their 80’s inspired synth-pop.

‘Untitled 06’ – Kendrick Lamar

From the recent release of Kendrick’s surprise compilation album, Untitled Unmastered, the imaginatively (un) titled Untitled 06 sounds kind of like cruising your St Tropez yacht in flawless sunshine, you know the feeling? Featuring the harmonious vocals of Cee Lo Green, this vintage-soul track at least lets you pretend that you do.

‘Good Vibrations’ – The Beach Boys

What’s a summer playlist without an appearance from The Beach Boys? Famous for sparking pop experimentation in the 60’s, the classic baroque harmonies, echo effects and riff changes in ‘Good Vibrations’ make it the ideal summer roadtrip track.

‘Radar Detector’ – Darwin Deez

Excessively rhyming, lyrically vomit-inducing; ‘It’s only been a week, but I know that you are mine to keep’, this song by Brooklyn boys Darwin Deez is possibly everything wrong with the indie-pop genre. Nonetheless, it’s catchy, kooky and the ultimate hipster-pop. Enjoy with no shame.

’Old Skool’ – Metronomy

Metronomy’s latest is a wonderful electronic dance track that builds to a divine, record-scratching finale. Collaborator Mix Master Mike of the Beastie Boys remixes Joseph Mount’s driving beat into a nu-disco frenzy – ‘Old Skool’ promises to be the hipster dance anthem of the summer.

‘Loud places’ – Jamie xx

Far from what its title suggests, this track from one third of indie/dream pop trio The xx is all about peace and quiet. Everything’s murmured, minimalistic and beautifully understated. ‘Loud Places’ provides bliss for those laid-back drinks at sunset.

‘Kids’ – MGMT

There is no finer piece of indietronica than this track by MGMT. Perfectly encapturing school summer-break excitement, its infamous electro-keyboard riff is more than enough to spark nostalgia of that end-of-term bell.

‘The Suburbs’ – Arcade Fire

Arcade Fire, famed for their grand statements and somewhat overwhelming musical style, complete a U-turn to channel careless childhood wonder with ‘The Suburbs’ amidst a coming-of-age theme to remind you of those good-old-days – “In my dreams we’re still screamin’ and runnin’ through the yard”.

‘Cemetery Gates’ – The Smiths

If you’re finding yourself craving some negative irony on a sunny day, this 1986 track by The Smiths is your go-to. Although lyrically the song maintains that scathing Morrissey touch, its shuffling rhythm and catchy bassline make for the perfect picnic tune.

14/06/2016

Alice Mortimer

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3