Mashing the bananas has the added bonus of providing some therapeutic stress release to essay swamped students. The ease and speed of the recipe makes these cupcakes a breeze for anyone, even if you aren’t used to baking.
For variation, try adding nuts, dates, or chocolate chips to the mixture. I added chunks of white chocolate, but if you’re feeling really cheeky why not try all three?
- 8oz Self Raising flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 oz butter
- 6oz dark brown sugar
- 4 very black bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 egg
- Roughly 3 tablespoons milk
- Rub the butter into the flour (no need to sieve), add the salt, sugar, vanilla, any extras and stir well.
- Pour in the milk, keep stirring into a pasty mixture and then crack in the egg.
- Separate into cupcake cases and bake for 20 minutes or until risen and slightly browned.
- Test by sticking a knife into the cupcakes, and when no batter sticks to the knife they’re done!