Emotional scenes as people across the globe unite to thank health workers in fight against Covid-19

Scenes of unity, appreciation and respect for the health workers currently on the front line in the fight against the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic have swept across the globe.

The United Kingdom and the United States have started a #LightItBlue campaign in which major landmarks across the countries have been turned into beacons of blue to say thank-you to those currently engulfed in the battle against the deadly virus. In the US, over 350 venues, including Niagara Falls, One World Trade Center, and Madison Square Garden, were glowing as the UK saw Windsor Castle, the Royal Albert Hall, and Wembley stadium also included.

This has coincided with the Clap For Carers campaign, which has seen people around the world step outside to give a round of applause to key health workers. In addition, numerous countries, including Spain and Italy, have witnessed scenes of singing alongside applause to show appreciation during what is an incredibly emotional and disturbing time for the international community.

Numerous fundraisers for health services have also been set up, including a 99-year-old British war veteran who has raised over £14 million to help the NHS in the fight against coronavirus. This total continues to grow. Tom Moore, who aimed to complete 100 laps of his Bedfordshire garden by Thursday, has vowed to keep going despite the fact he has smashed his original target of £1,000. More than 98,000 people from around the world donated to Mr Moore’s page after he began to raise funds as a thank-you to “magnificent” NHS staff that treated him for cancer and a broken hip. He said: “Every penny that we get, they [the NHS] deserve every one of it”. NHS Charities Together, who will benefit from the funds, has said it is “truly inspired and humbled”.

The show of appreciation and gratitude from across the globe has demonstrated people’s unity during a crisis that has brought grief and pain to so many. Those who are willingly putting themselves in danger to help fight the pandemic are receiving the respect and admiration they deserve. The fight continues against a virus that has taken the lives of thousands, but the strength and determination on show from the world’s health-workers is enough to suggest there is light at the end of the tunnel.

21/04/2020

William Warnes

Global Editor - 2019/20

Co-Deputy Editor - 2020/21

1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031