Despair for England in Twenty 20 World Cup

England’s male and female cricketers competed in an enthralling 2012 ICC Twenty20 World Cup which took place in Sri Lanka.

The tournament ended in despair for the England women’s side, after they lost in the final by four runs to Australia on Sunday. The run chase of 142 proved to be too much for England who were left trying to obtain 23 runs in the last two overs. The loss also means that a second T20 title still eludes the women’s team.

England captain Charlotte Edwards was the stand out performer in a side that were previously unbeaten in the 2012 tournament. Edwards achieved the highest overall run total in the tournament by scoring 172 runs in her five innings. The captain was inspiration in leading her team to the final, and they were unlucky to face such a strong Australian team on the day.

In a dramatically different affair, the England men’s team failed to make it into the semi-finals of the first World T20 tournament to be held in Asia. They were the holders of the competition after winning the World T20 in the West Indies in 2010.

However, throughout the event, England’s bowlers looked weak, causing numerous high scores to be racked up against them. This included the West Indies achieving 179 at the Super 8 stage of the tournament and India reaching 170 in the group stages.

England’s bowlers were not the only ones to perform poorly; the batting side of the team had a dismal tournament as well. They scored just 80 runs against India, which was the lowest total of any team for the entire tournament and is England’s lowest ever T20 international score.

The only salvation for England would be that Luke Wright looked strong with the bat at times but it is fair to say that the team missed Kevin Pietersen. Despite the current issues surrounding him, he was player of the tournament when England won the competition in 2010.

In the final of the men’s tournament, the West Indies beat the hosts Sri Lanka by 36 runs to win the 2012 Twenty20 World Cup. Marlon Samuels looked particularly impressive for the West Indies as he hit 78 from 56 balls to help them on their way to victory. Samuels’ match-winning innings also included six sensational sixes.

09/10/2012

Matt Hubbard

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031