Enola Holmes: Review

Enola Holmes, based on a series of books of the same name, starring Stranger Things’ Millie Bobby Brown, has been released. The film follows the character of Enola Holmes, set in 1884, in a world on the brink of change. We get action-packed scenes mixed in with historical references such as clothing and setting as well as famous Sherlock Holmes references. The film was very well done and the use of breaking the fourth wall I found was effective, keeping us the audience engaged and making us feel a part of her decisions and a part of the scene.  

I feel there is a lesson to be learned from the film. It is a quote from Enola’s mother, ‘There are two paths you can take, Enola. Yours, or the path others choose for you”. This is said quite a few times throughout the film, showing the audience that we can choose our own ways in life and that we have the possibility to achieve our dreams and goals.  

A lawsuit has been filed against the depiction of Sherlock Holmes in the movie. The Conan Doyle Estate, which owns the copyright to the last 10 Sherlock Holmes stories, is suing Netflix claiming copyright infringement and trademark violations. The 10 newest stories that they own are where Sherlock Holmes becomes “warmer” and displays more emotions in previous stories. There is evidence of the character of Sherlock Holmes showing more emotion that we have previously seen in previous Sherlock Holmes movies. However, Netflix and other parties haven’t commented on the matter.   

I would fully recommend the film to those who enjoy an adventure or mystery film. It fully delivers a positive message about individuality, equality, and freedom.  

13/10/2020

Caitlin Telford