Enterprise Centre Named as one of the World’s Most Sustainable Buildings

UEA’s Enterprise Centre was showcased at COP26 as an example of the world’s most sustainable buildings. The Centre was built in 2015 using locally sourced low-carbon materials, including pine and a concrete mix made of locally recycled sand and aggregate.

On November 11, COP26  dedicated the day to Built Environment, in which they recognised the impact buildings have on carbon emissions. As one of the greenest buildings in the UK, the Enterprise Centre was acclaimed alongside other sustainable hubs, such as the Favela da Paz in Brazil and the Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda. 

The Centre, located on University Drive on UEA’s campus, has biodiverse features throughout, most notably insect hotels, bat and bird boxes, and display bed terraces. Due to its innovative nature, the Centre has the two highest sustainability certifications possible; Passivhaus and BREEAM Outstanding. For six years in a row, it has also been awarded the energy certificate DEC A rating, which is only given to a handful of buildings.

Roger Bond, Director of Estates for the University, remarked: “From the inception of this building, sustainability has been the driving force. From procurement to supply chain, from design to life cycle management, local and global issues of sustainability have been recognised and addressed. Its construction shows what is achievable if clients, designers and constructors really understand and focus on what is important.”

COP26 included The Enterprise Centre as part of ‘Build Better Now’ in which 17 buildings were selected to act as a global call for climate action. The project focuses on offering solutions through innovative and sustainable construction, design, and engineering.

07/12/2021

Rachel Keane

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031