Ex-leader’s brother appears in court over ‘illegal’ coronavirus protest

Piers Corbyn, a high-profile coronavirus sceptic and brother of former Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn, has appeared at Norwich Magistrates Court court regarding a protest he organised in Norwich in late September. Mr Corbyn was summoned on Tuesday December 1, charged with organising an illegal gathering of more than 30 people in a public space during the emergency period. He pleaded not guilty.

More than 50 people took part in the event in question, which took place at the Haymarket in the city centre on September 24. They used the opportunity to distribute leaflets claiming coronavirus was a hoax, as well as anti-vaccine and anti-5G messages.

One of the protestors, 25-year-old Luke George, appeared in court in October connected with the same event. He faced a common assault charge after allegedly coughing at a female pedestrian. His case will appear before the Great Yarmouth Magistrates Court in January, where Mr Corbyn’s case will also be heard in March.

15/12/2020

Jamie Hose

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930