Extinction Rebellion Protestor scales crane in Norwich

A protestor for Extinction Rebellion scaled a 100ft crane on Saturday 7th of November. The 17 year old man known as Alex Sidney ascended the crane and placed banners in support of the XR movement onto the side of the crane. Sidney, from Dereham, spent two nights atop the crane as a form of ‘direct action’ which the Extinction Rebellion organisation encourages in order to ‘combat the climate crisis’. 

3 others were arrested in connection with the event when police initially arrived on the scene. Sidney made comments to the Eastern Daily Press on his intention behind the protest: 

“The message has not changed at all. I just want the government to get off their backside and do something. We’re in a climate and ecological emergency.”

The protestor vowed to stay atop the crane until he was forced away ‘by lack of food, water, or warmth’

This comes after an extinction rebellion protest was cancelled in the wake of the recent Lockdown in East Anglia. Sidney Descended from the crane prior to 12:00 on Monday the 9th and was taken into custody by police. He was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage, aggravated trespass, breaching Covid-19 regulations and a public order offence. He was held for questioning in Wyndham Investigation centre. 

Members of Extinction Rebellion Norwich have been particularly prevalent in the past few months as evidenced by the arrest of prominent member Rupert Read over the summer. Read is a lecturer in Philosophy at UEA and a member of the Green Party.

24/11/2020

Samuel Woolford

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930