Travel

Favorite lockdown recipes: Cheese and herb beer bread

· 3 cups self-raising flour (or plain flour + 2 teaspoons baking powder)

· 1 teaspoon salt

· 340ml beer

· 2 cups grated mature cheese

· 3 tablespoons mixed herbs

· 2 tablespoons garlic powder/granules (optional)

This was the perfect lockdown recipe for me to discover. Since learning to drive I rarely drink, and with sales driving down prices during lockdown, I now own more beer than I’ve ever had (and we’ve been unable to host those parties and BBQs for people to help make a dent in the collection).

This simple recipe makes a delicious bread that perfectly accompanies soups and stews. It’s also perfect on its own, especially when still warm out of the oven. Serve it with some butter and maybe your favourite artisan cheese or a baked camembert!

You can use any beer you like for this bread. I have used lagers and ales, which gives a slight variation in taste. As with cheese, I normally use cheddar, though red Leicester or your favourite block of cheese will be fine.

· Pre-heat the oven to 170°c and grease a loaf tin well.

· Combine the flour (and baking powder if using plain flour) and salt in a mixing bowl.

· Add one and a half cups of the grated cheese as well as the herbs and mix well.

· Then pour in the beer and mix until just combined (make sure to get all the pockets of flour mixed in)

· Tip the dough into the prepared loaf tin and tap the tin on the worksurface to ensure the dough has settled into the corners of the tin.

· Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.

· Bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes until the bread sounds hollow when tapped.

· Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before serving

· Enjoy warm or save for sharing later that day (usually lasts around 48hours before starting to go hard).

22/09/2020

Roo Pitt