Favourite Recent Singles

Travis Scott feat. Young Thug & M.I.A. – FRANCHISE

Jake Walker-Charles

“FRANCHISE” by Travis Scott, Young Thug and M.I.A is a stand-out track. These artists, who have approximately fourteen US top 10 hits between them, have all been known to push stylistic boundaries. 

Their unique vocal performances give the song depth and dimension, whilst still remaining sonically complementary. The accompanying video, which was directed by Scott, also has great replay value.  

Personally, I was pulled to the song because of the M.I.A feature. Her verse, which appears towards the end of the track, marks a definite change of pace which divided fans.

However, music that takes time to sink in is usually the music that gets remembered, and the song looks set to become another chart hit for the trio.  

Sinead O’Brien – Most Modern Painting

Callum Gray

Sinead O’ Brien recently released her fiercest music to date. Opening the EP is the most texturally explorative track: “Most Modern Painting.” It toys with glassy guitar, hissing hi-hats and modulated synth-pads. Not only is it a wonderfully sonically layered single, it’s a masterclass in lyrical agility: “Quiet whipping winds, whispering things, as she passes, long summer grasses, blow curses to the wind” is one of the most satisfying lines; it rings out against an increasingly stretched modulated synth and frantic guitar. The build resolves with O’ Brien repeating “Drowning in Blessings” against a whirl of guitar and bass. O’ Brien is one of the most exciting new Irish artists, with her intense vocal delivery backed by coolly biting guitar. She’s definitely one to watch.

13/10/2020

Various Contributors