Across The Pond, Featured Posts

Rated R for scenes of an American nature

Part one of Across The Pond. Josh Mott is in the US, keeping tabs on what’s hot at the American box office and what’s making film news stateside. Exclusive to Concrete Online.

America, as you may know, is the birthplace of a large proportion of the films that we see these days. In fact most of the films we see in our movie-filled lives come from across the pond.

For the next year I’m studying in America’s north east, sunny Philadelphia to be exact. With the plethora of movie enjoyment that is sure to appear over the next 12 months, I couldn’t help but accept the mission to keep UEA up-to-date with the trends and quirks of movie-going in the USA. And believe me there are some quirks – butter on popcorn being a particularly unhealthy one.

American studio films appear to be the most widely promoted and exhibited, even though the rest of the world’s movie market is three times as big. Many films are released months earlier her, and on my voyage of discovery, of understanding Hollywood, this is where I hope to reap the rewards.

It seems that Ted and Brave have won over the box office in the UK, both of which were released earlier in the summer in the US, and to similar success. In fact, Ted became the largest opening R rated comedy of all time in June, taking in over $54m in its first three days, beating The Hangover (2009) by almost $10m.

Many in the industry have noted Brave as slip up for Pixar, but the Scottish fantasy adventure did surprisingly well over the summer, out-grossing Wall-E, Ratatouille, and cash cow Cars 2 in the US market.

The Bourne Legacy, which took $38m on its opening weekend, tops off the charts state side. This may sound like a lot but The Bourne Ultimatum took over $69m on its first weekend. We’ll have to wait a couple of weeks or so to see if this re-imagined Bourne will warrant another sequel. They’re not exactly short of material; Mr Ludlum churns out Bourne books at a frightening rate.

The Expendables 2 also performed alarmingly well despite dire reviews from American critics. One said the film has “no plot … really showing the shortcomings of Stallone’s writing.”

Sadly, for cinema goers on both sides of the Atlantic, we are approaching the most disappointing time of the year: the gap between the summer blockbusters, and the awards season and Christmas movies that appear from November onwards. On the other hand, this does mean we should have some fairly obscure flicks at the top of the box office.

05/09/2012

joshmott Josh was the editor of Wired (now Gaming) 2011-2012.

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Rated R for scenes of an American nature”

1. Awesome, cheers. Yer I went to Bryn Mawr last year to see the Descendants and I loved it. Its way cheaper than the AMC as well. I’ll definitely check out the pearl and the Ritz theater.

2. are you going to temple? i’m a temple student coming to UEA. i’ll be interested to see more of your perspective about philadelphia as i’ve lived there all my life and have no idea how other people perceive it!

i would advise getting to any of the ritz theaters or small suburban theaters (like bryn mawr or ambler) to check out the movie scene. the pearl in north philly is probably not going to be your best cinema experience.

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…