Fingers crossed for the Forum

Dependent on whether Norwich wins a national competition, the spacecraft of British astronaut, Tim Peake, could make an appearance at The Forum.

The famous Soyuz capsule is set to be displayed at eight venues across the UK. It is a specialist rocket, enhanced by Space Descent VR, which exhibits a unique virtual reality adventure using Samsung Gear VR technology.

This places the public directly at the heart of Tim Peake’s journey from the International Space Station to Earth. The Forum have announced that they are one of five shortlisted sites in the competition to host the spaceship and virtual reality adventure.

Contingent on the success of the Soyuz capsule, it will feature as the centrepiece of Norwich Science Festival 2018.

Director of the Science Museum Group, Ian Blatchford, said: “This is the first time the Science Museum Group has toured one of its objects around the country, and what better object than the craft that brought Tim Peake safely back from space?”

The winning venue will be announced in March 2018, after much thought and consideration by a panel of judges including Ian Blatchford, the UK Space Agency’s Human Spaceflight Manager Libby Jackson, Samsung’s James Eadie, and Director of the European Centre for Space Applications and Telecommunications, Magali Vaissiere.

Peake’s spacecraft is complete with a 25 metre parachute and is cost-free to visit all of the venues on the tour, across the UK.

The producer of Norwich Science Festival, Natalie Bailey, said: “We are delighted to be shortlisted to host this inspiring part of space history.

“The tour fits perfectly with the aims of the Festival and The Forum to engage and inspire young people in order to develop further interests in science. Fingers crossed!”

Correction: This article was updated on 31/01/2018. A previous version of this article stated that if the Forum win the competition, Tim Peake would appear with his spacecraft. However, the competition is just for the Soyuz capsule and Space Descent VR. 

30/01/2018

bethpapworth

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3