Main Stories

Firefighters tackle blaze on The Avenues

Residents surrounding a park on The Avenues were advised to close their windows after a tennis pavilion caught fire yesterday.

More than 20 firefighters from four crews tackled the blaze after Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service were called to Heigham Park at approximately 2.20pm yesterday.

Despite some nearby residents’ concern a house was on fire, smoke was actually originating from a thatched tennis pavilion.

Norfolk Fire and Rescue informed  surrounding houses to keep their windows closed in the event the smoke spread.

The Avenues fire Heigham
Photo: Concrete/ Matt Branston

A firefighter at the scene said: “Thatch has to be stripped off before we can extinguish it, [it] requires quite a lot of resources”.

He added: “It’s an arduous job, working from ladders, stripping the thatch from that pavilion.”

“We’re using CAFS [compressed air foam system] on this. It helps us extinguish the fire quickly and not lose too much water as well”.

Friends of Heigham Park wrote on social media: “It is with great sadness that the lovely tennis pavilion has suffered a fire.  We do not know full details. Such a shame and we are  sorry to be bearers of bad news.”

The cause of the fire is unknown and investigations are ongoing.

No one was injured in the fire.

24/11/2019

Matt Branston

Comment Editor - 2019/20

Co-Deputy Editor - 2020/21

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031