OldVenue, TV

Food, Glorious Food – review

Food, Glorious Food – ITV’s latest offering into the cut-throat, high-adrenaline world of cookery programmes – has hit our screens. The premise of the show seems a lot like another of those pies Simon Cowell has his fingers in, Britain’s Got Talent, the Saturday night favourite. In this series, regional contestants compete against each other to earn a place in the final where the prize is their recipe being rolled out nationwide by Marks & Spencer; and a juicy £20,000 cash prize. Very tasty.

Food Glorious Food: the judges with presenter Carol Vorderman, centre.

Each week our slightly illogically-chosen host Carol Vorderman, meets the contestants to hear a bit about the back-story to their recipe. As the show goes on, the panel of judges includes sauce aficionado Loyd Grossman, and Stacie Stewart (who we can guarantee you’ll spend an age wondering how she keeps her enormous hairdo from falling in someone’s casserole) and each episode they pick out dishes they like best, before assembling at the end to pick a regional “Dish of the Day”, one of which will win the prize at the end of the series.

The show’s had less than excitable reviews, many people claiming that it is treading too closely to the toes of other popular foodie shows – but it might be worth a watch if you’re missing the joy of The Great British Bake Off (though don’t expect any soggy-bottom bingo joy). As an evening’s entertainment, it’s not exactly the highlight, but in episode two it came just close enough to be worth it just to hear Vorders ask a fisherman to “get your crabs out”.

See for yourself, Wednesdays at 8pm, on ITV1.

18/04/2013

robdrury

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3