Environment, Science

FoodCycle Norwich celebrates its first birthday

FoodCycle Norwich has just reached its first birthday. For those of you who haven’t heard of it, it is a resourceful, inspiring and above all, fun community project in Norwich.

The idea is simple. Surplus food from wholesalers, supermarkets and local retailers is collected every Friday using a fleet of bicycle trailers and is then transformed into a tasty supper for an average of 80 people a week. Doors are opened to the entire Norwich community: students, families, businessmen, Big Issue sellers and Green Party councillors alike come together every Friday at 7pm at the Friends Meeting House on Upper Goat Lane to share and enjoy a cooked meal. And the best bit? It’s totally free. Although, it is asked that those who can afford to make a small donation.

During the first year they managed to achieve the staggering feat of redirecting almost three tonnes of food, previously destined for landfill, to the dinner plates of 2,500 happy diners. This would not have been possible without willing volunteers who have contributed a total of 2,000 hours to the project.

FoodCycle Norwich would like to thank their suppliers: Metfield Bakery, Budgens, Arthur McCarthy’s Wholesalers, Folland’s Organics, Mike and Debs, St Benedict’s Food Store, Brandbank, Hughes Organics, Dozen, Farm Share Rainbow and Arthur’s Organics. Thanks also to the volunteers, you know who you are, and to the diners for creating such an exciting and strong community. It just goes to show that amazing things can happen when people put their heads together.

They are always on the look out for new people to welcome to the project. If you’d like to be involved in any way then just get in touch with at norwich@foodcycle.org.uk or take a look at the website to find out more: www.foodcycle.org.uk

21/02/2012

rebeccahazlewood

April 2021
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930