Featured Posts, News

Plagiarising UEA student recieves formal warning

A medic, Dr Manoj Ravindran, studying for an MSc in Health Economics, has received a formal warning from a Medical Practitioners Tribunal after the University of East Anglia’s internal systems detected copied material in a submitted assignment.

Cheating

While Dr Ravindran admitted to using a substantial amount of work identical to author’s without permission, amounting to misconduct, he was only given an official warning after the panel concluded his actions were “not so serious as to require any restriction on your registration”. The disciplinary action taken against Dr Ravindran will remain on his official record for the next five years.

Panel chair Dr Ann Barker told the student: “The panel considers that your breaches of good medical practice were so serious that, despite the mitigation presented on your behalf, the public interest demands that the panel record the seriousness of your misconduct by issuing a warning.”

A UEA spokesperson said: “The university takes cases of plagiarism or collusion very seriously and we do a great deal to educate our staff and students about plagiarism. Guidance and dedicated web pages are available for students, and we have a procedure for penalising proven cases.

“We have introduced a number of measures to combat plagiarism, including plagiarism officers in each school of study and regular academic practice events dealing with plagiarism and collusion. Text-matching software is also available to assist in identifying suspected cases.”

12/11/2013

andrewansell

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930