When Fresh Meat first aired last year its gritty comic realism was a reminder of why we previously loved programmes such as Skins or The Inbetweeners. This week the hit Channel 4 programme returned for a second series and is not to be missed.

Fresh Meat is an anarchic comedy interspersed with genuinely effective moments of realism. It is both sitcom and drama, depicting believable, funny, yet sometimes disturbing portrayals of university life ranging from relationships to one night stands, coping with everything from searing hangovers to the death of a loved one.

The humour and familiar awkwardness of a cocktail of different cultures, backgrounds and vodka should be familiar to any student. We have posh boy JP (played by the hilarious Jack Whitehall), the nervously awkward Kingsley (The Inbetweeners’ Joe Thomas) and his would-be-but-never-quite girlfriend Josie (Kimberly Nixon), alongside the desperate to impress Oregon (Charlotte Ritchie), the nerdy Scotsman Howard (Greg McHugh) and of course the legendary Vod (Zawe Ashton).

On the basis of the opening episode, the latest series will not disappoint. Our characters are now second year students and while some appear to have changed – Kinglsey is sporting facial hair and Josie has a new BFF – others thankfully are largely unimpaired, notably JP who is just as ridiculous, yet somehow believable, as ever. So tune in to the series on Channel 4, Tuesdays at 10pm, or catch up on 4oD.