OldVenue, TV

Game of Thrones: back on our screens

Based on George R.R. Martin’s best-selling series of novels, A Song of Ice and Fire, Game of Thrones was acclaimed by fans and critics alike, developing a mass following soon after its original broadcast last year. With just the right balance of violence, gore, sex, nudity, infanticide, incest, dragons and anything else likely to disgust and intrigue you all at once, the series shows no signs of faltering any time soon – it was renewed for a third season just nine days after the premiere of the second.

After a pedestrian start to the second season (possibly due to the loss of Sean Bean’s Eddard Stark), the show has picked up the pace, with recent episode, Garden of Bones, being one of the best so far. The series has continued to create complex and visually stunning worlds with the introduction of the arcane Dragonstone and the oddly sinister city of Qarth. Indeed, the show feeds off a vast array of parallel storylines from across the kingdom of Westeros and beyond, with the second season ably introducing an enticing array of new characters capable of tipping the balance of the story in new directions.

The broad variety of characters and the twists of their respective narrative arcs are the key to the show’s success and diverse fandom. Whether it be the noble and kind Jon Snow searching for his uncle, Daenerys Targaryen wandering about the desert looking to feed her baby dragons, or the cunning and compassionate Tyrion Lannister doing his best to keep his odious relatives in check, each story is completely believable and utterly compelling. Furthermore, superb performances from the likes of the wonderful Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) allow these stories to be told with consummate style.

While it may be possible for first-time viewers to understand Game of Thrones, my personal recommendation would be to buy the first season box set, have a wildly indulgent marathon and then jump right in to the most recent episodes. However you choose to go about it, everyone should watch Game of Thrones – trust me, you won’t regret it.

04/05/2012

mattmulcahy

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…