Gaming, Venue

Gaming Giant SEGA to Join Forces With Microsoft – Molly Phillips

There has been debate in the online gaming community about whether the gaming giant was being bought out by Microsoft Corporation, since SEGA published a tweet where they visited Microsoft’s offices.

It has been announced that the Japanese video game company is ‘in principle’ joining forces with Microsoft. It is an alliance aimed at allowing SEGA to produce games on a global scale, which is accessible via Microsoft Azure’s cloud platform.  

For the uninitiated, Microsoft Azure is a cloud computing software. SEGA is not the first gaming company to join Microsoft Azure’s network – Bungie (Destiny) and Krafton (PUBG), have, for example, but SEGA is the latest. Microsoft’s companionship will allow them to customize their future games. And it seems to have been a successful endeavour already: Reuters says that the news of the collaboration caused SEGA’s stocks to increase by 6% on the day of its announcement. Meanwhile, Microsoft’s Sarah Bond complimented SEGA, commenting on the ‘iconic role’ that the company have played in the gaming industry over the years. 

SEGA, which was founded in 1960, became part of the mainstream of successful video game companies in the 90s with Sonic the Hedgehog, which was a huge hit with players. Their collaboration with Microsoft is saturated with the words ‘future’ and ‘global’, as it marks a new era for the company. SEGA is evidently working with current trends in gaming and communication, as well as anticipating future ones and preparing itself to best suit what gaming might become. 

With an increase in 5G and cloud services, video games have never been so easily and readily accessible, and SEGA are using this change to their advantage and adapting to a changing climate of technological advances that ultimately make us more connected. 

Yukio Sugino, the president and Chief Executive Officer of SEGA, stated “We are very pleased to announce today that we are considering a strategic alliance with Microsoft to help develop SEGA’s new “Super Game” initiative as well as build a next-generation game development environment.” Sarah Bond, Corporate Vice President of Microsoft, commented “We look forward to working together as they [SEGA] explore new ways to create unique gaming experiences for the future using Microsoft cloud technologies”.

This forward-focused initiative, dubbed as SEGA’s “Super Game” is an exciting initiative for the gaming world. It is all part of a plan to make this world a more globally connected entity, and the mysterious ‘super game’ will be a large-scale, online title that hopefully lives up to its name.

16/11/2021

Molly Phillips

November 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930