It sickens me. It sickens me to my very core. The fact that I agree with David Cameron. The Guardian reader within me squirms at this. However, it must be said that this Act of Parliament is a positive move, with the date of the introduction of gay marriage having been recently announced. It allows gay couples to get a civil marriage and for religious groups to marry gay people if they wish. Now, I could go over the idea of freedom of the individual over that of religion which should stay personal, but no matter how good those arguments are, you’ve probably heard them nearly a hundred times before. Instead I’ll look at this from a Christian point of view. With the Christian community forgetting mundane matters such as feeding the poor and caring for the sick, it has united to stop gay marriage. As a heterosexual Anglican most people expect me to be an ardent mouth-foaming supporter of ‘traditional marriage’. However, should my deeply held Christian values stop me from supporting this bill?

alg-gay-marriage-jpg

Photo: NY Daily News

‘It was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.’ This is something I often get told. And well, yes, that is completely true. So what? We’re not meant to emulate them. In the parable of Adam and Eve it shows how we do things which are wrong and which go against God, it has nothing to do with sexual orientation but the downfall of humanity. And even if you take this story literally, which incidentally is rather worrying, if God were to create the first people, he was unlikely to make Elton John, Alan Carr and a female tennis player. Point invalid.

‘The Bible forbids homosexuality, just read Leviticus. You’re being a pick and mix Christian if you don’t believe everything, using your own morality instead of the infallible truth of God.’ Again true, it does say that (Lev. 20:13); I’m slightly less convinced of the infallible truth of God bit. However, you can then read Deuteronomy 22:28-29. If you don’t have a Bible handy it says that if a woman is raped then she should be forced to marry her rapist (unless of course the rapist was another woman: that would just be weird). Yet even the completely mad, tea-partying, evangelical, American Christians don’t suggest that we legally enforce rape marriages. Yet how can we ignore one part of the Old Testament and not another without saying that we’re actually using our own morality? Point invalid.

‘But the New Testament says so too. The rules of the Old Testament are for then, but the rules of the New Testament still apply today.’ Again, yes, St Paul does forbid homosexuality (Romans 1:26-27). Then again he also condones slavery (Ephesians 6:5-8). Same problem as before. Point invalid.

Now I’m going to play them at their own game, I’m going to quote a bit of Scripture. ‘Let the one who has never sinned cast the first stone’ (John 8:7), or in other words, ‘Do not judge’ (Matthew 7:1). So even if you do believe that gay marriage is wrong, unless you’ve never sinned, which of course everyone has, you can’t stop them as that would be judgemental. It’s not for us to tell people what they should and should not do, that is for God. And this is something that Jesus actually said, while remaining silent on the issue of homosexuality. And many Christians will gladly ignore many things Jesus actually said (divorce maybe?). So if you’re against gay marriage then that’s fine. However, just admit that it has nothing to do with Christianity but your own homophobia. Point valid.