Travel

Getaway Abroad to Hong Kong

Three months ago, I landed home. However, I spent almost one month in quarantine. After multiple hurdles at border control and regular health checkups to bypass, I realised freedom was a luxury.

This freedom cost me a great amount. From expensive Covid-19 testing services in the United Kingdom to my 21-day hotel fees in Hong Kong, this getaway was indeed lavish. After buying my freedom, I was determined to make this trip worth millions. I scheduled meetings with family and friends, racing against time and making the most of it. I was fixated on creating memories, memories with a price that could never satisfy.

These memories were fruitful pieces of my summer holiday, assembling the perfect getaway I’d wished for. As I reflected upon them, they scattered in my mind like golden butterflies. Some fluttered and shone brighter than others, while some sat at the depths of my brain and were overshadowed by the beam. The blazing ones brought me to moments of light which I shared with my family. 

We toured Hong Kong and discovered food places we had never been to. These places were like hidden gems waiting to be picked up. The first gem we found was the Nam Dae Mun Seafood Restaurant. Located close to the seashore, the restaurant was accompanied by the best view. Next to breaking waves and the sunset beckoning us, we enjoyed our hotpot dinner. The sunlight swept gently across the sashimi at the table, embracing us with warmth. This warmth from the orange and blue gradient colours in the sky complemented the warmth of the gas stove and the bubbling broth at the pot. This same warmth swelled at my heart, showering and filling it with immense delight. Just like the old times, my family and I shared stories. We laughed at an occasional joke and talked about interesting figures at the table. It was as if I’d never left home.

In a blink of an eye, the last few days of this getaway closed in and more memories were awakened. There had been happy and sad days, but nonetheless, they were priceless memories I would cherish for the longest time. As Søren Kierkegaard has said, “life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards”. The bittersweet recalling of this getaway calls me to live in the present and treasure the limited time I have at home.

14/09/2021

Melody Chan

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930