Gigging ain’t dead

Scouting for Girls returned to the LCR for their 10th-anniversary show. Excitement was palpable, with the show selling out at lightning speed. The crowd was remarkably diverse, with plenty of long-term fans mingling with the younger fans.

The band’s frontman, Roy Stride, discussed his love of the LCR as a venue and compared the crowd’s enthusiasm to some of their larger London venues, a huge testament to the LCR ‘regulars’.

The hits-filled setlist was well exquisitely set out and finished on She’s So Lovely, sending the crowd into ecstasy with the first few notes. Other notable songs such as Heartbeat, Elvis Ain’t Dead, and I Wish I Was James Bond received an equally excited response from the crowd.

Despite this being a tenth-anniversary show for the first album, it was good to hear a mixture of their old ‘classic’ songs mixed amongst their newer songs. Deeper cuts were dusted off for the show, such as Airplane, a song with a much sadder tone than their upbeat hits, providing a refreshing juxtaposition in the setlist. This Ain’t A Love Song was another welcome oldie, invoking tidal waves of nostalgia. There was even a wonderfully cheesy cover of Bon Jovi’s Living on a Prayer. If you thought you’d heard a loud LCR, you haven’t heard a crowd of people singing Living on a Prayer with Scouting For Girls.

The show gave me all too many warm memories of watching ‘Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging’ as a teenager and school discos. From the response of those around me when the choruses to Heartbeat, Elvis Ain’t Dead and She’s So Lovely kicked in, it seems I was far from alone.

05/12/2017

Gabriela Williams

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3