These gingerbread biscuits have a variety of different uses. You can decorate and personalise one for a lucky loved one, make holes in them and thread ribbons through them for the tree, or simply wrap them up in tissue paper parcels and give them as gifts. If you’re feeling particularly experimental, make a gingerbread house.

Ingredients

• 380g of plain flour
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • ½ tsp of salt
  • 3 tsp of ground ginger
  • 1 tsp of mixed spice
  • 225g of unsalted butter or soft marg
  • 340g of soft brown sugar
  • 1 beaten egg

Additional extras

• Icing sugar
  • Jelly tots, smarties or other sweets as decorations
  • Food colouring

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C and line two or three baking trays with greaseproof paper.
  2. Sieve the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, spices, and salt) into a bowl and combine.
  3. In a large separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Gradually add in your beaten egg.
  4. Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients.
  5. At this point, assess the moisture of your dough. You want it to be able to be rolled up into a big ball so it doesn’t stick sloppily to the sides of the bowl and so you can easily roll it out. If it is still too wet, add some more flour and incorporate with your hands.
  6. Dust a surface and a rolling pin with flour.
  7. Roll out your dough to around a 0.5cm thickness.
  8. Use cutter stamps or a sharp knife to cut out your shapes. Some alternatives to gingerbread people are stockings, trees, stars and hearts. Go wild and try a reindeer!
  9. Once cut, place them onto your trays, roll the edges of all the dough back together into a ball and roll out again. Continue this until all the dough has been used up.
  10. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until golden brown. Take out, if you want to make holes for ribbon you should quickly be able to do this with a chopstick now, and allow to cool.
  11. Decorate (the best bit!)