Global roundup 360: 20th October

American politician admits making animal sacrifice
Ollie Watts

It has been discovered that a candidate running to be a member of the United States Senate for Florida once killed a goat and drank its blood as part of a pagan ceremony. In 2013, Augustus Sol Invictus, whose name means ‘majestic unconquered sun’ in Latin, spent a week in the Mojave Desert where he abstained from eating. Upon his return to Florida he slaughtered a goat as a way of ‘giving thanks’. Invictus has been quoted as confirming his actions by stating “I sacrificed an animal to the God of the Wilderness”. The candidate is standing for the Libertarian Party and will be hoping to pull off an extraordinary achievement come November 2016.

Terror hero stabbed in California
Jessica Frank-Keyes

Spencer Stone, one of the men dubbed a hero after the attempted terrorist attack on a French train in August, was stabbed multiple times in Sacramento, California in the early hours on 8th October. The 25-year-old currently serves in the US Air Force as a First Airman and was hospitalised after the events took place with three wounds, described as serious but not life threatening injuries. He has undergone significant surgical procedures but is expected to make a full recovery.
The attack occurred outside a nightclub where Stone was reportedly defending a friend.
The Sacramento police department have confirmed that the incident is in no way related to the attempted attack on the train, describing it as a “nightlife related altercation,” adding that alcohol is assumed to be a factor. No immediate arrests were made as all suspects had fled the scene.
Stone and two childhood friends from the Sacramento area were applauded and internationally recognised for their bravery for tackling the gunman on the high speed train who was armed with a Kalashnikov, a pistol and a box cutter knife. They all received national awards from the French and American governments in appreciation of their actions.

Russia continues Syrian campaign
Matt Howard

Russia has launched bombing campaigns on both moderate rebel and Isis forces.
Russian intervention has been met with harsh criticism by the West. The US has claimed that Russia has not been targeting Isis but Western-backed rebel groups to help prop up Assad. Furthermore, the US has stated that the Russia campaign is “fundamentally flawed”.
Despite heavy Russian involvement, President Putin has stated Russia military role in Syria will not have ground forces deployed, “We’re not going to do it, and our Syrians friends know about it” he has told State TV.
Russia’s Defence Ministry has said it is increasing the number of air strikes against Isis. Since first launching airstrikes in Syria on September 30th Russia has conducted more than 100 airstrikes according to the Russian Defence Ministry, encouraging many to claim that the Syrian crisis is developing into a proxy war between Russia and the US.
The involvement of Russia has led to the Russian embassy in Damascus being shelled. Meanwhile, pro-government supporters gathered to thank Moscow for its intervention.
The Russian foreign minister has slammed the attack as ‘obviously a terrorist act intended to, probably, frighten supporters of the war against terror and to not allow them to prevail in the fight with extremism. The situation remains volatile.

20/10/2015

Ollie Watts

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31