Canadian man solves his own disappearance case
A Canadian man has apparently solved his own disappearance in what is surely one of the most unique investigation stories of recent years.

In September 1986, 21-year-old Edgar Latulip, a developmentally disabled man with a mental age of 12, disappeared from a home in Ontario, Canada, where he was receiving treatment for mental and emotional problems. Latulip’s grieving parents assumed he had committed suicide or been murdered. They last saw him in a hospital in the city of Kitchener, in the south of the province, where he was being treated after a suicide attempt. Edgar Latulip then wandered away without his medication and went on to become the centre of the area’s longest unsolved missing person’s case.

In 2016, almost 30 years later, Latulip – now living in the city of St Catherines – began to experiences flashbacks of his former life. After leaving the care home in 1986, he reportedly boarded a bus to Niagara Falls, but consequently suffered a head injury which caused a severe case of amnesia. Now 51 years old, he is soon to be reunited with his delighted family, after social workers in St Catherines were able to discover his previous
identity.

The head of a social work agency in the city has claimed that far more missing persons could be reunited with their loved ones, just like Latulip, if Canada’s Mental Health Act and privacy laws were rewritten to allow social workers to “act in the best interests of both clients and their families”
Jessica Frank-Keyes

Dolphin dies after selfies on Argentinian beach
Wildlife experts and social media users have expressed outrage after footage emerged of tourists on an Argentinian beach passing around a beached dolphin for selfies before leaving it for dead on the sand. The dolphin died having been out of the sea for approximately 30 minutes.

Videos posted on Facebook appeared to show one of the tourists parading the beach in the tourist resort of Santa Terisita with the animal in his arms after having plucked it from the water. Subsequent photos show crowds of dozens gathered around the man and the creature.

The animal is believed to be a franciscana dolphin, of which there are only around 30,000 left in the wild. The species is therefore considered to be vulnerable to extinction. The Argentinian Wildlife Foundation have
confirmed that two dolphins were found on the aforementioned beach, one of which was dead when they arrived.
Niamh Jones

Supreme Court judge dies in office
One of the most conservative judges on the US Supreme Court, Antonin Scalia (pictured right, with Ronald Regan), has died at the age of 79. Appointed by President Reagan in 1986, his death leaves an equal number of liberal and conservative judges in the court.

The White House has announced that Barack Obama will nominate his replacement once the Senate has returned this week. It is rare for a Supreme Court judge to die in office, last happening in 2005. It provides President Obama with an opportunity to appoint a liberal judge, and thus tip the liberal conservative balance in favour of the former. Previously, the conservatives dominated court has opposed liberal, Democrat reforms, such as Obamacare.

Republicans in the Senate are already under pressure to delay the confirmation of a new justice until the next president takes office in January 2017, in the hope that a judge will be appointed by a Republican. As part of
the legislative branch of government, Senate Republicans have the power to filibuster and slow the process of replacement whilst Obama is still in office. Donald Trump, currently in the lead to be the Republican presidential candidate, has urged the Senate to “delay, delay, delay”. Meanwhile, Democrat candidate Bernie Sanders has encouraged the president to “get on with it”.