Like our courgette, carrot and apple cake, this recipe is a bit unusual. It tastes good though!
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of water
- 2 tsp of instant coffee
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- ½ tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 75g of cocoa powder
- 100g of softened butter
- 180g of caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 dessert spoons of strawberry jam (preferably without bits)
- 3 tbsp of cocoa powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 170⁰C and grease and line a loaf tin.
- Place the kidney beans, water, vanilla extract and one egg in a bowl, and blend them together with a hand blender, in a mixer or with a whisk and masher.
- In a separate bowl, sieve in the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa and coffee.
- In a third, and larger, bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Slowly add each of the remaining four eggs to the butter and sugar, mixing until totally incorporated.
- Add the bean mix to the butter mixture, then finally add the sieved dry ingredients to this bowl. Mix it all together until it’s a smooth consistency.
- Pour the mixture into your loaf tin and place in the oven for around 40 minutes, at which point a skewer should come out clean from the middle of the cake. Leave to cool for at least 15 minutes after taking it out of the oven.
- Whilst the cake cooks, make the topping by simply mixing the jam and cocoa together until you get a shiny mix.
- Once the cake has cooled, use a spatula or knife to put the topping mix on the top of the cake. Voila!