Gluten-free kidney bean cake

Like our courgette, carrot and apple cake, this recipe is a bit unusual. It tastes good though!

Ingredients

• 1 can of kidney beans
  • 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp of water
  • 2 tsp of instant coffee
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • ½ tsp of bicarbonate of soda
  • 75g of cocoa powder
  • 100g of softened butter
  • 180g of caster sugar
  • 5 eggs

Topping

• 2 dessert spoons of strawberry jam (preferably without bits)
  • 3 tbsp of cocoa powder

Method

1. Pre-heat the oven to 170⁰C and grease and line a loaf tin.
  2. Place the kidney beans, water, vanilla extract and one egg in a bowl, and blend them together with a hand blender, in a mixer or with a whisk and masher.
  3. In a separate bowl, sieve in the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa and coffee.
  4. In a third, and larger, bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
  5. Slowly add each of the remaining four eggs to the butter and sugar, mixing until totally incorporated.
  6. Add the bean mix to the butter mixture, then finally add the sieved dry ingredients to this bowl. Mix it all together until it’s a smooth consistency.
  7. Pour the mixture into your loaf tin and place in the oven for around 40 minutes, at which point a skewer should come out clean from the middle of the cake. Leave to cool for at least 15 minutes after taking it out of the oven.
  8. Whilst the cake cooks, make the topping by simply mixing the jam and cocoa together until you get a shiny mix.
  9. Once the cake has cooled, use a spatula or knife to put the topping mix on the top of the cake. Voila!
15/10/2012

aliceedwards

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…