Deputy Editors' Column

Go well, UEA

Hello! I hope you all had a restful and peaceful holiday. In my research into previous issues I have discovered various, and slightly amusing, stories about our University. UEA used to have a Morris Dancing society and the SU council once voted to ban KitKats. In issue 004 of Concrete, published in October 1992, a student writes: “On my many visits to other universities I experienced prices of as low as 80p or 90p a pint, why can this not be transferred to UEA.”

I also agree, why can’t pints be 80p but it does make me giggle. What would this student think of the prices now?

Concrete has also seen some amazing front page headlines. “No Clegg to stand on” on the rise of tuition fees and “Cod off” when plans for a fish and chip shop on campus fell through.

But Concrete has also been the site of some phenomenal reporting. In particular, the reporting during the HIV/AIDs epidemic is some of the most nuanced and raw material I’ve ever read. While “It’s a Sin” captured us from our TV screens, reading about the experiences of those on campus hit home.

Thirty years is a long time. In thirty years I’ll be fifty – lord. I’ll hopefully have gotten a graduate job by then.

I will hopefully have seen lots of the world. I’ll let you know. I might have children – weird. And I know I sound like a melt, but something I know for definite is the memories of UEA, my experience at Concrete and the friends I’ve made will stay with me for a lifetime, let alone thirty years. Here’s to us, UEA. Onwards to thirty more. As UEA legend Greg James says “Go well.”

08/02/2022

Freyja Elwood

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031