Golden Triangle care home to house 70 students

Norwich City Council have granted planning permission to a developer looking to convert an old people’s home into student accommodation.

Somerley Care Home, based near Unthank Road, was sold for £1.1 million to Prabodh Devlukia. The agreed plans for conversion involve a space for 66 students to reside, with little changes to the layout of the care home as it is at present.

The proposal to convert the accommodation was met with half a dozen objections.  Neighbours of the building expressed concerns to the council over noise, traffic, litter, and that there are already too many students in the area.

Conditions of the development, as proposed by local residents opposed to it, now include a 24-hour on site manager and extra bus stop space outside the building.

Norwich City Council has said the applicant has been “very cooperative” with these requests.

Residents of the care home have been relocated to the £18 million development in Bowthorpe Care Village.

This was the basis in which Labour’s David Bradford formally opposed the development, being the only planning committee member to vote against it due to concerns that there is a shortage of city based care homes for elderly people in Norwich.

Growing concerns over a higher demand for student accommodation have lead to an increased interest in developments over recent years.

Last July, Crown Student Living made a successful bid of £45 million to convert St. Stephen’s Towers into city based accommodation for up to 700 UEA students, a scheme backed by the university.

Other successful developments include NUA’s All Saints Green complex, which was completed in 2015, soon to be joined by 244 bed tower known as The Quad.

21/11/2017

shannonmcdonagh

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031