GRANDMAS HOUSE X PANIC SHACK @ NORWICH ARTS CENTRE 

Towards the end of January, I had the chance to head down to one of my favourite venues, Norwich Arts Centre, to see some of the most exciting names in post punk right now including Grandmas House and Panic Shack. 

The show was part of the National Lottery’s Revive Tour in partnership with Music Venue Trust which has been touring across the UK shining a light on grassroot venues. Previous acts include the likes of Becky Hill, Bastille and Enter Shikari.

Starting off the night was the Bury St Edmunds’ trio Tundra. With a sound that has been described as grunge pop, the band brought their punk sound to the walls of the Arts Centre. Despite a slight malfunction that required a replacement bass, the band brought an energy to the crowd that had us buzzing for the rest of the night. 

Shortly after, Grandmas House took to the stage and continued what was quickly becoming an incredible night. The all-women trio from Bristol came with heavy guitar riffs and a vocal performance that ranged from monotone verses reminiscent of Dry Cleaning or Courtney Barnett to shouting punk choruses. 

Although we saw another instrument malfunction with lead singer Yasmin’s string breaking on her guitar, it didn’t stop Grandmas House from putting on an incredible set. Each member of the group left everything on the stage and with each member providing vocals which added a lot of depth to the show. 

With the first two acts, the headliners, Panic Shack, had a lot to live up to with their set and they certainly delivered. Playing some of their biggest singles including I Don’t Really Like It, Who’s Got My Lighter?, and Jiu Jits You the woman lead Cardiff band proved why they are becoming such a big name in the punk scene. 

The band had great chemistry which came across with their synchronised dance moves during the set which had the crowd getting involved in the dancing. By this stage, the crowd had grown and looking around, it seemed that everyone was enjoying Panic Shack as much as me. 

As the night came to an end and we all began to leave, the buzz of excitement followed us out of the Arts Centre’s church setting. I had brought two of my flatmates to see the gig who both loved it.

01/03/2022

Tom Manning

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930