Deputy Editors' Column

Our guide to your guide to 2017

Welcome back to Concrete! 2016 was a wild ride, and we hope you had a great break spent eating, relaxing, and forgetting about the existence of the Hub…

In Concrete’s back-to-school issue we take a look at the various ways a new year can bring in a new you.

In Features, we’ve been ringing the changes: from healthy and delicious recipe suggestions for Veganuary, to wondering whether we really need to bring social media into 2017 with us. Have a look at pages 12 and 13, where Sophie Bunce questions the perception of our age group as an ‘anxious generation,’ and Luke Heward tells us what he’s gained from spending university in the Officer Training Corps.

We’re looking into a crystal ball in Global, as our writers make their predictions for the events of the next twelve months. From Ireland and Sudan to the Russian hacking scandal, if you’ve got questions, we’ve covered everything you need to know! Our Comment writers give their verdict on the Obama legacy, and editors Megan and Caitlin weigh in on the role – and responsibilities – of the press, while Rob Klim takes on fake news.

Our Travel section gets introspective this issue as Holly Byrne, Jack Leik and Beverly Devakishen look at the various ways travel can change you for the better. Have a look at some of their gorgeous travel snaps on pages 20-21. Meanwhile, Science looks back at 2016: a year in climate change, as well as some 2017 space news worth lifting your eyes to the stars for.

Finally, turn to the back page for our editors’ round-up of the sporting highlights of the year to come. From the Six Nations and the Superbowl to Derby Day and the darts, there’s almost more sports to look forward to next year than I recognise the names of.

17/01/2017

jessicafrankkeyes

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031