Halloween songs may be alright at a party when you are three vodkas down. But Who realistically listens to music like “Monster Mash” except from when you feel you have to at a certain time of the year? The songs aren’t deep, thoughtful or quirky. Halloween songs are simply decorations, exactly the same as pumpkins in windows. They stick around for a week or two and then are thrown away and forgotten about until the next year. For songs to have a place in music, they need to make a difference, and they need to challenge or change people and make them feel something they haven’t felt before. Halloween songs are nothing new; they are simply placeholders until November where the magic of music returns, and artists have to work to do something great to be loved by all. 

Leia Butler

Why would any song ever be denied a place in music? There are some very extreme examples that probably should be, but I hope those don’t need to be acknowledged. By denying Halloween songs a place in music you’d be doing one of two things: either denying all music linked to any holiday or time of the year or denying Halloween’s authenticity as a holiday and therefore disregarding everything connected to it. As for Halloween songs in particular, I’d argue that whilst some can certainly come across as tacky or cash-grabbing, the absolute best examples- songs like Thriller- give Halloween music a place, even if it is a small one.  

Jack Oxford