Hannah Brown explores Norwich’s best museums on your doorstep

When you ask someone if they want to go to a museum, more often than not you might get a look that screams, “I’d rather do anything but!” As a frequent and avid museum goer, this really frustrates me because museums really aren’t as boring as some history books might suggest. Being a city, Norwich of course has some museums, but they aren’t the old things full of dust-covered books. One museum that you might not even have considered is right on your doorstep: the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts.

This art gallery houses a museum below the permanent exhibits, which change frequently. Students can get a student membership which gets you into the exhibit for free too (saving you over £10!) so I think it’s well worth a visit.

The exhibits are unlike other museums; it’s a really open plan, and of course you’re in the Sainsbury Centre which is a work of art in itself. Right now, you can see “Radical Russia”, which is an exhibit following the centenary of the Russian Revolution.

If you’re in Norwich city however, there are two main museums, and one you will definitely know: Norwich Castle. Situated near the centre of town (although nowhere is far in Norwich), this castle houses layers of museums from Twinings tea to an armoury to taxidermy, along with the dungeon and battlement tours.

Whilst at this one you do have to pay, it’s worth paying for the day out. My flatmates and I headed there last year, did both of the tours (which you have to pay extra for), and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Personally, if you live in Norwich I think it’s something that just has to be done. Norwich Castle has such a brilliant history that it would be a shame to miss out on it.

The next museum I would suggest in Norwich is the Museum of Norwich.

This one is a little off the centre of Norwich, but, again, nowhere is far! Cheaper than Norwich Castle, this one tells the story of the city with interactive exhibits and shop fronts, and has a lot of artefacts. You can also get in with a “Twilight Ticket”, which is a £1 ticket you can buy an hour before the museum closes.

As an avid advocate of learning from the past and learning the past, I believe that visiting museums are both exciting and important.

If you’re a fresher, or even if you’ve been here for years, learning about where you live can be really valuable, and I highly suggest Norwich’s museums.

30/01/2018

hannahbrown

March 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031