Deputy Editors' Column

Happy Birthday Concrete!

1992: did anything really happen? Most of us weren’t around a quarter of a century ago (unless you happen to be Peter Sheehan). John Major was elected Prime Minister  and George Bush Snr was filmed throwing up in the lap of the Japanese Prime Minister at a state dinner. And in a more-than-likely-beer-stained office in a students’ union in the depths of East Anglia, ‘Modular Mess Up’ was being printed as the first ever Concrete front page. Some things never change…

Our award-winning student newspaper is all grown up. Concrete turns 25 years old this year and we want to celebrate. Over the last two-and-a-half decades, thousands of reporters have penned tens of thousands of stories on anything and everything that matters to students: sex scandals, sombreros and Taylor Swift.

We’re hosting a reunion party in the Sainsbury Centre on Friday April 28th – please consider this your formal invitation. We’ve tracked down Concrete’s most glittering alumni from all over the UK, so if you’ve ever wanted to chat about fake news to a BBC correspondent, or debate the state of the Labour Party with a political blogger, here’s your chance. Tickets are £22 for members of the Media Collective and £25.50 for UEA students. A bargain for a night of networking, nibbles, a goody bag stuffed full of Concrete merchandise. Plus there will be wine. We hope it proves an unmissable event!

28/02/2017

caitlindoherty

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930