He shoots, he scores!

What was looked at as a tough opening BUCS day fixture at home to Bedfordshire 2s was made easier when the opposition turned up with 11 men. After a slow start to the game, UEAFC’s stand in captain Marcus Legg, with a top one size too small for him, opened his account with a selfish run which saw him run past four Bedford defenders before scuffing his shot into the top corner with his weaker foot.

The game then saw another slow phase with UEA still all over Bedford structured defence. However, a questionable decision by the referee disallowed a Bedfords’ goal, and instead awarded a free kick. Unfortunately, the keeper was not ready when the referee blew his whistle and watched the ball sail over the wall and into the back off the net.

UEA then started to dominate the possession and game once again with many chances being squandered by a wasteful attacking display. However, Matt Fishman made a surging run down the right wing before playing a neat one-two with Legg, who then played the ball off a defender into the back of the net. 2-1 to UEA. It remained this way till half time.

An encouraging team talk saw the boys head out for the second half. Bedford started better but Henry Clarke started to get on the ball more, beginning to dictate play for UEA. Bedford had no answer for the attacking play UEA were putting on show. Yet the strike force of Legg and Parot could not find the net. Chance after chance was created but was failed to be put away.

New signing Harry Knights then limped off and saw a change in to formation. Legg would now drop into midfield whilst William ‘the cat’ Spinks dropping into the back three. UEAFC would remain on top for the rest of the game however more poor decisions from the attacking force saw UEA fail to score and it was seen that it might be one of those days for UEA. It was not to be the case as UEA held on for a hard-fought victory against a below par Bedford squad!

24/10/2017

simonbeeson1