Film, OldVenue

Head To Head: Best Dystopian Hero

Peeta Mellark 

Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) gets into some trouble in The Hunger Games.
Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) is loveably hopeless – Dan Struthers. Photo credit: Lionsgate.

Peeta Mellark is one of the best characters primarily because he’s loveably hopeless. In the first film alone he spends pretty much the entirety of the Hunger Games disguised as some rocks, gets seriously poisoned and is ultimately ‘dumped’ by Katniss. He may not be the strongest dystopian teen character ever, or in The Hunger Games franchise for that matter, but his unintentional clowning is worth watching time and time again. – Dan Struthers

Hermione Granger 

Emma Watson faces off against her enemies as Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2.
Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) stands up for herself and knows what she wants – Amy Lee. Image Credit: Warner Bros.

Why does Hermione Granger deserve to win the title of best dystopian teen character? Simply, because she is the first major female character to redefine her own gender. She is a ‘know-it-all’. She is bossy and a little bit nerdy. The first to complete and hand in her homework and she isn’t afraid to correct you if you are wrong. She stands up for herself and knows what she wants. If that isn’t the greatest role model for young girls then I don’t know what is. – Amy Lee

Katniss Everdeen 

Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) faces her toughest enemy yet: The Capitol, in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2.
Determined, head-strong and with a sense for justice, Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) defies the odds – Melissa Haggar. Photo credit: Moviestore/Rex Shutterstock.

There’s little that Katniss Everdeen can’t do. With trusty bow and arrow (flames, optional) in hand, she is quite literally, the girl on fire. Determined, head-strong and with a sense for justice, Katniss defies the odds and makes sure they’re firmly in her favour. If you ever need someone to catch you a spot of lunch or help you take down a dictatorial government, then she’s your gal. But what’s most important about Katniss is she is human, she makes mistakes and she has her faults. But she’s not trying to be perfect. And that’s pretty admirable. – Melissa Haggar

20/09/2015

melissahaggar As the current VENUE Deputy Editor and former Film Editor, Melissa spends the majority of her free time sobbing over her mountain of MA work or indulging in cinematic outings. A self-professed lover of Gothic & Fantasy genres, Melissa naturally loves Harry Potter, aesthetically pleasing Instagram posts, and classical music. She also really wants to be Jessica Jones.