Film, OldVenue

Head to head: on the beat

[su_tabs vertical=”yes”][su_tab title=”Nicholas Angel – Hot Fuzz”]The lead character of Edgar Wright’s seminal comedy Hot Fuzz is incredibly qualified in all his fields, being a master of shooting, fencing and driving, showcased in Hot Fuzz’s epically bombastic conclusion. Responsible for the highest arrest rate in all of London, he may not be a team player but he truly knows how to get the job done. So much so that his superiors who sent him packing, soon found themselves begging for him back. To make him even better, he doesn’t kill anybody, instead sedating his enemies; exactly what a police officer should aim to do. Oh, and he makes doing paperwork look awesome.[/su_tab] [su_tab title=”Axel Foley – Beverly Hills Cop”]The brilliant (although arguably reckless), Detroit police detective is the star of the Beverly Hills Cop series and is clearly an ideal contender for best law enforcer. Despite his unusual methods and somewhat questionable schemes, he is fiercely committed to police work and successfully solves multiple cases using his unique blend of charm, humour and creativity. His best moments include sabotaging a vehicle exhaust with a banana, taking down multiple bad guys whilst venturing around Wonder World (a Disney-esque theme park) and befriending a fabulously peculiar art gallery assistant named Serge. His bold and playful approach cements him as one of the most memorable law enforcers, and therefore worthy of this title.[/su_tab] [su_tab title=”Judge Dredd – Dredd”]An extreme character rolling into the badlands of urban-crime, lacking prejudice he is enabled to carry out the full maintenance of the law. Dredd remains lethal and efficient, with a sprinkle of humanity that means that he can help the world and show a good side when the time comes. One of the only forces standing between crime and his city, Dredd boasts a wide variety of precise combat skills; he gives the toughest of foes a one way ticket to the gutter. Watch out – he fires once, and doesn’t miss.[/su_tab] [su_tab title=”Bruce Robertson – Filth”]The police hold up the pillars of the law and are the thin blue line between order and chaos. Detective Sergeant Bruce Robertson is none of these things. He is, to put it bluntly, an absolute bastard. Over the course of 2013’s Filth we learn that Bruce Robertson is a conniving, uncaring, crazy person who plays his co-workers against each other, frames his friend for a sex crime (that he himself commits) bullies and threatens the people he is supposed to protect and serve, as well as popping any substance he can get his hands on. He is without a doubt the funniest copper to be placed on the silver screen.[/su_tab] [su_tab title=”Marge Gunderson – Fargo”]It was once said that law enforcement is a man’s game. The fairer sex cannot handle the brutal acts that unravel before the eyes of a policeman. However Marge Gunderson from the Coen brothers’ seminal classic Fargo proves otherwise. Not only is she a great detective, being able to piece together the seemingly random events during the crime caper, she is heavily pregnant while doing it. Unlike her male counterparts she does not make a big deal of her role in the arrests, rather she does her job, the job of a policewoman.[/su_tab] [su_tab title=”Rick Deckard – Blade Runner”]Rick Deckard is a blade runner (a special police operative), but for all intents and purposes, he is the blade runner. The archetypal noir anti- hero, Deckard (Harrison Ford), embodies all that we love about noir and its male leads: dark, broody, morally ambiguous and just that little bit broken. Driven by justice, and eventually love, Deckard ruthlessly hunts down superhuman replicants (humanoids) raising questions about his origins, and whether he himself is truly human, or something more. Regardless, the cool, calm and collected Rick Deckard will always stand as a cinematic great.[/su_tab][/su_tabs]

This article contains contributions from Ben Pincent, Jamie Parsons, Yasmin Haggar, Jay Slayton-Joslin and Alex Morrison.

06/10/2015

alexmorrison